Monday, September 15, 2008

The Death of Innocence

In class on Friday i found myself interested in something Dr. Sexson said about people and the innocence, or lack there of, in regards to their thoughts. To me it was painfully clear that the reason we can't just hear and enjoy a story simply for what it is, is because we know too much. The more we learn the less innocent our minds tend to be. I tend to reminisce about the innocence of my youth and sometimes wish that when I'm reading any piece of literature, i could stop from myself from diving right into a deep analysis and criticism of that piece of work, but that is no longer a capability of mine. Being an English major has destroyed my ability to go back to the days when little red ridding hood was just a story with a valuable moral. We have learned too much to revert back to our days of simplicity, and while i value all that i have learned, i still sometimes find myself in a state of nostalgia for the days when simplicity was appreciated rather than criticized.But i guess we all have to grow up sometimes...


No comments: